Biloxi to ask Amtrak to bring back the Sunset Limited | News
BILOXI, MS (WLOX)-
"Since Hurricane Katrina, they've repaired the tracks. You see freight service every day along the Coast. Our question is why not go ahead and restore Amtrak service?" said City Spokesman Vincent Creel.
Biloxi's transportation complex serves as a hub for Coast Transit Authority buses and Greyhound. Creel said passenger service could be good for tourism, including the casino industry and offer Coast residents another transportation option.
"This would be super, not only for our coast people, but it would be great for people coming from Florida or from the west of us."
The mayor of Tallahassee, Florida contacted Biloxi on the matter. He points out that there are 13 stranded train stations along the Gulf Coast.
This concept is in the preliminary stage, but it could pick up steam and restore the old Sunset Limited route along the Gulf Coast.
Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.
Top Biloxi Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WLOX Editorial: Newly elected leaders your election is not an authorization do as you please
- MS State Department of Health receives high score for swift response in public health emergency
- WLOX Editorial: Have a driving plan
- Red Cross Gives Tips on Severe Weather Threat Download Free Tornado App
- St. Martin High School's Winans named CiviSTAR Good Citizen of The Year
- Beach bonfire pits removed after cracking under heat pressure
- $5,000 drawdown held Friday, June 28 for Gulfport firefighter battling brain cancer
- Film crew, Burt Reynolds shoot scenes at a Gulfport home
- Jamaican lottery scam investigation leads to Gulfport
- Stolen truck discovered on Canal Road in Gulfport